The Missing Program Mode

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
TacticDesigns
OP TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,186
+1. Here's your program code. :)

jnd wrote:

I would use user programmable program mode a lot. I need more flexible settings with autoexposure in a way that for example doesn't result in overexposure but still maintains best image quality.

Let's say my subject has LED display that due to multiplexing can't be shot above 1/320 without parts of it falling apart. That doesn't depend on the weather or light levels, it's a basic condition for all shots, shoot at most at 1/320 s. Then let's say I want to have some DoF control so I will prefer shooting at f/4 if possible. ISO can be left at Auto, maxmizing the incoming light. In good conditions this will lead to overexposure even at base ISO, therefore I have use higher aperture numbers. In lower light I can choose between maximizing image quality or DoF control, meaning I will prefer my aperture to open up before auto ISO will go up. This could be easily automated with couple rules but as of now I have to switch between aperture priority, shutter priority or manual, with or without auto ISO depending on current lighting conditions.

+1

Thanks for posting.

A very interesting situation! I love it!!!

Ok.

Two things.

1. It would be good to be able to read in certain details from what the multi-segment or matrix metering is reading.

Things like the brightest value being read. The lowest value being read.

And maybe even be able to tie that into a read value target or a zone target for that sensor.

[Line-001][Watch][Meter-Max]
[Line-002][Link to][Auto Exposure][Line-001][Zone][VIII]

So this means, watch the meter. Take the maximum value read assuming no part of the image is burnt out. And set exposure so that that LV gets recorded in Zone 8 within the capability of the sensor?

2. Prioritizing settings.

I hadn't thought about that.

I guess there could be a prioritizing of lines. Or may there is another way to code this. It's kinda a back-up way I was thinking about having the lines able to deal with non-linear changes in settings.

Basically, set the ranges.

[Line-001][Watch][Meter-Max]
[Line-002][Link to][Auto Exposure][Line-001][Zone][VIII]
[Line-003][Set to][Shutter Speed][1/320]
[Line-004][Set to][Aperture][Auto][f/4-f/max]
[Line-005][Watch][Aperture][f/4-f/11]
[Line-006][Link to][ISO][Line-005][Manual][800]
[Line-007][Watch][Aperture][f/11]
[Line-008][Link to][ISO][Line-007][Auto]
[Line-009][Watch][Aperture][f/11-f/max]
[Line-010][Link to][ISO][Line-009][Auto]

Ok. This is not the prioritize method, but breaking out the aperture into 2 ranges.

Line-001 = Watch the light meter max value.

Line-002 = Set auto exposure (EV) value so taht that brightest point falls in Zone VIII.

Line-003 = Set shutter speed to 1/320 sec.

Line-004 = Set Aperture to auto with a range of f/4 - f/22. f/4 because you don't want wider than that. f/22 perhaps is the max your lens can handle?

Next break the aperture range out into two ranges.

Line-005 = Watch aperture. When between f/4 - f/11 then Line-006 (Set ISO to 800). So this will force the camera to keep making the aperture smaller if things are too bright, but keep ISO at ISO 800.

If things get too bright at f/11, I am not sure how the camera would realize that it cannot achieve EV requested with keeping ISO at 800 and max f/11. But when the camera realizes it cannot achieve this, somehow it will see the additional code below.

Line-007 = Watch aperture. When at f/11 and too bright for ISO 800 then it tries to only use f/8, but then lets the ISO drop to base ISO.

And I guess you could add a final range of f/16 - f/max and let ISO be auto for the full range that the camera is capable of.

I guess the question is . . . is defining ranges like this easier or more precise than figuring out some sort of priority method to say . . . max out aperture first, then start changing ISO?

Is it too complex for most users? Well, maybe but why they need to care? It can be separate settings that you use only when you need to. Same as complex settings for autfocusing beahviour, focusing or relase priority, how erratic the subject will move and so on. We already have that and most people will be happy with the default settings. Or touchscreen which have been controversial subject yet it's simple matter of turning it on/off depending on personal preference while almost all cameras are perfectly usable also with usuall physical buttons. Fuji even has it off by default so no one can complain.

+1

Exactly.

We already have computers with image sensor as number one peripheral, it can do subject recognition, face detection, eye focusing, auto white balance, dynamic range enhancement and what not so why not use the computer to better automate and customize the exposure metering system too? Phone cameras are popular and easier to use because they are not afraid to use more post processing and custom scene programs, now using AI and multiple sensors, while classic photography is stuck with couple dials that have to be turned for every small change of lighting or subject when we want to use anything else than basic automatic modes.

+1

The thing is . . . us photographers already have this "program" in our head.

It is defined as the rules we use in order to set the exposure setting values ourselves.

The only thing that this "Missing Program Mode" is offering is to get that "program" out of your head and programmed into the camera so that it can change the settings based on how you wanted to have the settings change anyway. LOL.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jnd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow