The Missing Program Mode

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
TacticDesigns
OP TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,205
Re: The Missing Program Mode

Tom_N wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

And I know that when I am shooting sports with a variable aperture lens and trying to shoot manual exposure . . . the fact that the aperture ratio changes as I zoom throws a wrench into getting the most out of my camera. LOL.

You can already stop down aperture to a setting that is available across the entire focal length range of your lens. No new complicated "programming" system required. Just set the camera to A/Av or M mode.

+1

Thanks for the post.

But that isn't what I want.

If I am shooting with a variable aperture lens, let's take 2 examples.

Either my superzoom . . .

Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6

or (not that I have one), but let's say an

18-50mm f/2.8-4

I could shoot both those lenses at the smaller ratio. f/5.6 for the superzoom or f/4 for the 18-50mm.

But then that means, I am losing out being able to let in more light when I go wide. Which means the pictures are more noisy than they needed to be.

So . . . what is the point of having the bigger aperture ratio at the wide end if I'm not going to use it.

[ One of the reasons I am not so found of getting an 18-50mm f/2.8-4 lens and I prefer my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. ]

As far as AV (aperture priority mode) goes. I can't use that for cheer competitions because there is spot lights positioned behind the athletes pointing towards the front of the stage. As these spot lights fire off seemingly randomly, that causes the camera (if in aperture priority mode) to under expose the shot.

So no go for aperture priority.

If I shoot manual exposure, I need to stop my lens down to the smaller aperture ratio, which means I'm losing potential light to shoot in an already dark environment.

Of course, I am already shooting these scenarios with constant aperture lenses. So I shoot manual because I can zoom through the range of my lenses and the aperture setting does not change.

But . . . wouldn't it be cool to shoot that cheer competition with a superzoom or 18-50mm f/2.8-4 and pull as much light out of that lens as possible . . . and not have the camera tricked by the spot lights behind the athletes?

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jnd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow