Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 8,035
Re: Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

teemodk wrote:

SirPeepsalot wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

SirPeepsalot wrote:

ETTR is an exposure strategy specific to digital because it takes advantage of how digital information is captured and quantized as more tones can be distinguished in the shadows by exposing them as midtones and in midtones by exposing them as highlights.

The difference is how closed to midtones and the shadows are to them, so yes applying positive exposure compensation relative to the perceptually expected final result is what ETTR is all about.

This is not what is clearly defined in the link provided. And from that link also note that it does mention Michael Reichman's talk on it.

Sorry but I can't agree with your claims of the definition of what ETTR is.

Well I can't force you to but if you take a moment to think about the purpose it serves and its uniqueness to digital capture you'll see that it is the only the thing that makes it a 'thing' to begin with.

Really it shouldn't be difficult to distinguish between things that are diametrically opposite - if you were to work in full manual mode highlight protection strategy would produce a picture either as intended to be viewed or one that needs shadows to be pushed in post whereas ETTR would produce a picture that needs to be pulled (or curve-adjusted downards) in post.

It seems to me that you did not read the link from Raist3d, which is the same I quoted from earlier. I think you are over complicating ETTR.
You simply make sure all highlights are inside the view of the histogram. This ensues that the sensor get as much light to work with as possible without blowing highlights.
If you need to push or pull the shadows depends on the dynamic range of the scene and sensor.

The highlights wherein you wish to retain detail. And the raw histogram. And just inside the view of the histogram. Then yes I agree.

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow