The Missing Program Mode

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
TacticDesigns
OP TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,193
Six of one . . .

Tom Axford wrote:

I think anything that adds a lot more complexity to the camera is dead in the water, most photographers want simplicity not complexity.

+1

Thanks for the reply . . .

I guess I look at this 2 ways.

I look at my Nikon D750 (my latest dSLR camera) and compare it against my Pentax K100d (my first dSLR camera) and there are a lot more menu items on my D750 than there were on my K100d. LOL.

Complexity has been constantly added to these cameras over the years.

Heck. I started with a Pentax SV film camera that was completely manual. It did not even have a built-in light meter.

Over the years I went from that to a Pentax ME Super with aperture priority, then the Pentax Super Program with its shutter priority and full program. And then the Pentax K100d with is autofocus and digital sensor.

So, in a way . . . the cameras we have now are way more complex then in the beginning.

And I am sure not every feature on every camera is used by everyone.

So what is one more feature.

. . .

On the other hand, sometimes taking more control over your camera is the simpler way to get things done.

It's like when I shoot cheer.

I know that the light coming from the floodlights to light up the athletes are going to be fairly consistent. Especially if there is a videographer there.

But also that sometimes these events have spot lights behind the athletes that can trick the light meter of a camera to underexpose a shot.

So . . . in that case, kicking the camera into manual exposure mode is actually the easiest way to get the shot.

Also, like when I am shooting with manual mono lights for a portrait shoot session. I pick an ISO, aperture and shutter speed and then I dial in the mono lights to work with those settings. And then I shoot the whole day with those settings.

. . .

So, providing more control over how the exposure program works in your camera may seem complex, but may be the quickest and easiest way to get the camera to do what you want it to do, rather than trying to figure out how to trick your camera to do what you want it to do. LOL.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jnd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow