Should amatuer buy pro lens?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark_A
Mark_A Forum Pro • Posts: 14,737
Re: Should amatuer buy pro lens?

jeffnles1 wrote:

There are many ways for your photography to pay for itself and not all of them involve income.

Personal story. After 36 years in a high stress project management job. Blood pressure was up, I couldn't sleep well, I had a very short fuse on my temper and was working about 60 hours a week. After a 12 or more hour day in the office, I only wanted to flop down on the couch and do nothing until the alarm went off at 6:00am the next morning to start it all over again.

I've always had a passion for photography, nature, wildlife and outdoor photography in particular. 2 years ago, I retired. At least 3 times a week year around (many weeks 4 or 5 days a week) I get out in the field with my camera gear and shoot. I've sold a few images here and there but I'm not a pro and I don't make money from my photography.

So, you ask, how does my photography pay for itself? Easy, my blood pressure is completely normal now, I sleep like a baby, I don't snap at my wife about stupid stuff (I don't even snap over bigger stuff, it just rolls off my back), I've lost about 25 pounds and I wake up every morning excited about what the day will bring (will I go shoot something new, will I work on post-processing). The biggest decisions I have to make are will I get my house chores done before or after I go shooting.

The money I've spent on photo gear has repaid itself 100X in my quality of life. That is something money cannot buy.

My advise to you is if you're not spending grocery or rent money on the camera gear, life is very short. Go for it, buy the stuff you want and need. Just don't short change your retirement benefits or your family but if it is money you've saved for this, do it.

When you are old and nearing the end of your life do you really think you'll be saying "If I had only not spent that $3,000 for the lens I would have lived longer and been happier?"

Hi Jeff,

Whatever else you will say on your death bed, you won't be saying "I wish I had spent more time at work!"

I just went on the blood pressure tablets myself last week :-/

Mark_A

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow