Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
SirPeepsalot Contributing Member • Posts: 550
Re: Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

Raist3d wrote:

SirPeepsalot wrote:

Shawn67 wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Looks like Ricoh may have done the first or one of the first "expose to the right" metering-exposures ever. I saw they have a priority for highlights through the frame, which is new.

This would be interesting to preserve highlights at all costs and the famous "cameras should do expose to the right" that Michael Reichman from Luminous Landscape used to talk about.

I have not tried, so I can't be sure, but looks like that's what it tries to do from the manual.

It does try to preserve highlights although it does appear to have a little bit of acceptable blown area. I took some boring shots of an interior wall next to an exterior window (not super bright out) in all the metering modes. Spot (metering on the wall) of course blew the most highlights, center was next, matrix made a big adjustment for the window but allowed a fair amount to still clip and the highlight weighted just let a tiny bit clip.

Center weighted from DNG

Matrix from DNG

Highlight weighted from DNG

Highlight weighted would likely be great for any sort of stage performance with varying lighting/spotlights. Would be really awesome if the weighting could be adjusted for % of acceptable blow highlights....

Shawn

ETTR is only relevant when you have highlights room to spare, that is when your scene is a low-contrast/low-DR one.

I don't agree with that statement at all either. If your scene requires high DR, ETTR could be used as a tool to consciously decide how much highlight vs shadow you want to lose.

And how would that make ETTR different from say the zone system ?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow