HX99 as second camera to FF mirrorless

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
M0jave
OP M0jave New Member • Posts: 14
Re: HX99 as second camera to FF mirrorless

hawk15 wrote:

Seen several travelers with a similar setup with the HX90V and a FE. GPS on the little guy is an added bonus.

CaliforniaDave wrote:

I have own and used a wide variety of Sony cameras [...]

Thanks so much for this, it's exactly this kind of feedback I was hoping for, from people who have had first hand experience, or have seen others try out this setup (not to discount the excellent input I got from the others who replied, of course). Most of the reviews I could find were from the perspective of people planning to use the HX as an all-rounder, whereas I'd only be using it at 100mm (equivalent) and beyond, which skews the conclusions a bit.
The polarization quirk I'd read about, but thankfully, I don't usually wear my sunglasses while shooting, so it wouldn't bother me much.
@CaliforniaDave, I'm curious, why would you not recommend the TZ100? As I said, the TZ200 is one other option, and I understand the two are quite similar, but the 200 is longer.

Prognathous wrote:

Why would image quality be better than a phone? The sensor size is similar and the ultrazoom lens is much more difficult to design than a wide angle prime lens used on most phones. I'd expect image quality to be at best similar.

I would've expected the extreme miniaturization of the phone camera (lens, electronics, etc.) as well as the inflexible (usually aggressive) post-processing to have more negative impact on final image quality. But you may be right, perhaps I'm already setting unreal expectations, so let's just go with "on par with a good phone camera", and I'd probably be ok with that, given the other advantages you yourself mentioned. I have looked at the Stylus line, though, and indeed, they look a bit bigger than what I'd be willing to pack on a "just in case" basis.

M0jave's gear list:M0jave's gear list
Sony a7 III Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow