Looking for a tripod head that does not wander

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP boblite Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: Any Geared Head ( was: no-drift tripod head

NancyP wrote:

Keith Cooper of Northlight (architectural photographer, geared heads are his bread and butter) rated the Benro head well. All other geared heads are ultra-expensive. I have only used my gear head up to 560 mm (400mm lens, 1.4x teleconverter, full frame (24 x 36mm) coverage, ~ 12" long, ~ 5 pounds with camera). It works very well for moon and did a great job on the eclipse. I would suggest that either affordable geared head may have some precision issues at 3000 mm equivalent angle of view (0.6 degree). Geared head will be more precise and easier to adjust at very high focal lengths or high macro magnifications than a ball head, though.

Many thanks for your comments. I've been persuaded that gears have a decisive advantage in terms of rigidity once set, and so have ordered the Benro GD3WH, hoping that the 3 knobs will not be too irritating.

I also note your cautionary comment that (relatively) inexpensive geared heads may have precision issues at 3000mm.. but am hoping for the best... have ordered from Amazon so if it does not perform as needed, will send it back.

boblite's gear list:boblite's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 900 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
DWM
DWM
DWM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow