Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Geekapoo
OP Geekapoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,988
Re: RX10 IV BIF update

tbcass wrote:

Rodger1943 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Rodger1943 wrote:

I agree with you Tom. Up until I bought the RX10 4, all my previous cameras had CDAF and I got many good BIF shots with those cameras. CDAF may not be as good as PDAF, but I think its a lot better than some people believe.

I used manual focus on the seagull.

Even more impressive, Tom.

It's zone focusing. You pre focus to a zone and when the bird enters that zone only quick fine tuning is necessary. It's something you had to do before the days of auto focus.

Zone focusing was the route I had to take with my Olympus EM1/40-150 f2.8..I used AF-S to get an initial focus lock and from there, zone focused (had camera set to AF+MF) with some focus peaking guidance as the AF-C tracking was essentially worthless for BIF. Worked quite well, increasing the # of keepers significantly. Occasionally I'll shoot BIF using only MF and focus peaking. Gives me tremendous appreciation of the challenges pre AF!

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-T3 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow