Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
teemodk Senior Member • Posts: 1,067
Re: Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

Olifaunt wrote:

teemodk wrote:

Shawn67 wrote:

teemodk wrote:

SirPeepsalot

Coincidentally - a clean black wall shot with full ETTR should also come out white, so an in-camera ETTR implementation should probably include a safeguard on the maximum amount of stops to overexpose when possible.

Only if you want to use the jpeg directly from the camera. If you want the least amount of noise in the raw image, you want to give it as much light as possible.

... without clipping and loosing important detail.

Shawn

Yes, that's how I understand ETTR. To the right, but not beyond.

But my concern a lot of posts ago was: Will it protect from (over) saturated colors of flowers and the like?

I am not sure if this is really about exposure. Saturation clipping is more about color profile. For example, the GR-ii standard JPEG color profile almost never over-saturates flowers in my experience; they are rendered very well almost all the time. But saturated colors get clipped all the time in "Positive film" mode, for the same image, same exposure.

This is different from the sky clipping to green (a common issue with GR-ii) because of overexposure of the blue and red channels.

Sure, a lot of detail are clipped by Positive Film, not only highlights but also much of the shadows. It simplifies the image, which may be the reason it is so popular.

I was thinking more about the initial exposure found in the RAW file. As discussed above, many cameras don't expose per channel.

teemodk's gear list:teemodk's gear list
Oppo R7 Plus
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow