Should amatuer buy pro lens?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,048
Re: Why not?

Mark B. wrote:

imperial wrote:

I can't convince myself enough to buy the Sony 70-200mm gm lens because of the price. I have saved up money for it, but i can't get over the fact that i'm just a amateur photographer and none of these photos I take are going to pay off the equipment i have purchased. Do any of you get this problem?

How many people's hobbies "pay for themselves"? Unless you start an actual business, no hobby is going to pay back everything or even a fraction of what you've paid into it. You buy what makes you happy while still fitting into a budget.

Mark

+3

A few points . . .

1. Everyone can use a hobby. And as Mark points out, the goal of a hobby is not to make money but to do something you like.

2. Also, sometimes a payback isn't monetary. For me, getting an old Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 zoom was to get shots of my daughter at her gymnastics competitions. Getting that lens let me get those shots more easily than a variable aperture lens. And the results were better. My payback was getting shots of my daughter doing what she loved.

3. Sometimes having the right tools pushes you over the edge. When I got the 80-200mm f/2.8 I wasn't thinking, ok, this can lead to paying jobs. I just wanted shots of my daughter at gymnastics competitions. But having that lens and seeing what it was capable of, I started to learn more about what I could do with it. And then people started asking me and my wife to take pictures of them and insisted on paying us ... to the point where I have actually made enough on the side to pay for all the camera gear I've bought over the years.

So ... in my case, having that lens not only paid for itself, but went on to pay for all the camera gear I've ever bought.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Nikon D7000 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow