EM1 2 poor results.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 14,674
I forgot about that!

Messier Object wrote:

Richandhiscat wrote:

So what's happening here anyone ?

These were all shot SAF, smallest focus point, dual stabilization, sequence low (I always use sequence/burst with long telephotos), focus limiter not set, centre position on lens, all static. Only the last one has any shots in the sequence anywhere near in focus (the last two). The keeper rate from all the mornings shots is no more than 50%.

What’s happening ?

The E-M1 II is showing you that it prefers high contrast subjects with lines and hard edges to low contrast soft and fluffy subjects, and if it decides that something in the foreground or background close to the AF Target Point is a better target in that respect it will lock focus on it.

I suspect that it’s the PDAF operation that’s doing this as the behaviour is much worse when using the Olympus 4/3 lenses and the MMF adapter - with the 4/3 lenses the camera uses only PDAF as most of the 4/3 lenses won’t work with CDAF.

It was reported by some here that this behaviour improved with ver 2.0 firmware, but with the 4/3 lenses I saw no improvement.

IMO, suggestions in this thread that you have a bad lens, the wrong technique, heat haze or other issue external to the camera are incorrect.

This is how the E-M1 II behaves. Being able to precisely pick out your target can be difficult under certain circumstances. A soft fluffy rabbit in grass or in bracken etc looks to be one of those circumstances.

This would be one of those times when a I wish one of the noted Olympus Visionaries or published/awarded wildlife photographers would step into a thread and tell us all what’s going on with the camera and how to best use it.

Peter

This is very true. Until my FW update I remember in 2017 I shot a big event and was asked too. It was a very bright Sunny day and it was 34 C. People wnet to the shae. Sure enough the Oly just neglected the AF box and went for things like the edges of the trees etc. Incredble. I also used my GH4 and it had no such problems at all. After FW and using face AF this is no longer a problem. But it is very strange Oly just neglects the AF box people tells it to use it. Just...unbelievable.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow