Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 8,129
Re: Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

Raist3d wrote:

TN Args wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

SirPeepsalot wrote:

So this is the GRIII manual:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/gr-3.pdf

And it lists a "highlight-weighted" mode that "Meters exposure in multiple areas of the frame with emphasis on the bright areas."

So yeah sounds like "make sure the highlights are retained even at the cost of underexposure" mode which is only tangentially related to ETTR.

Afaik this is ettr The way Reichman described it a while back/ years ago at least

The Nikon Z7 I played with yesterday has a metering mode called "highlight weighted", too.

Cool about time more cameras offer the option

I get the impression that real ETTR automatic metering would be too hard to implement.

• Firstly, images with specular highlights still need them to clip. If you don't let them clip, images will be near-black and full of noise in the main subject areas. The camera could guess which areas are specular and need to clip "no matter what", but it would only be guessing.
  • Secondly, just green channel or all 3 channels? Meters normally only meter green, because green clipping means loss of detail in the image. Red or blue clipping not so much: that leads to a shift in hue, generally speaking. It would surprise me to hear that Ricoh are ETTR-ing on all 3 channels.
  • Thirdly, JPEG or raw? I assume you mean raw, but what will that mean when shooting JPEG-only? Or raw + JPEG?

I actually like the way Olympus cameras such as my E-M5 II have a metering mode called "High Spot". You put the spot meter area over the brightest tone that you want to retain detail, and it sets that to +2.7 EV, which IIRC is about 95% luminance. Anything brighter, e.g. specular highlights, will then clip. The EC dial still works, so if you think your camera can handle more than +2.7EV in raw, then apply EC to the "High Spot" meter.

Iliah Borg has a nice article on how to do raw ETTR with precision. It's pretty complex. Would be interesting to see a camera automate all that, with precision, successfully.

cheers

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow