Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 38,605
Re: Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

SirPeepsalot wrote:

SirPeepsalot wrote:

SirPeepsalot wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

SirPeepsalot wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

SirPeepsalot wrote:

teemodk wrote:

SirPeepsalot wrote:

teemodk wrote:

SirPeepsalot

Coincidentally - a clean black wall shot with full ETTR should also come out white, so an in-camera ETTR implementation should probably include a safeguard on the maximum amount of stops to overexpose when possible.

Only if you want to use the jpeg directly from the camera. If you want the least amount of noise in the raw image, you want to give it as much light as possible.

At some point the marginal benefit becomes negligible and if you ETTR a uniform dark surface your image will be dominated by haze and a heightened black point all while requiring multiple additional stops of shutter speed.

Might be true, I have never felt the need to photograph black walls
Anyway, it's always the user that is to blame for the outcome, never the camera. Learning to use the equipment is more important than features. But if the new exposure mode actually works it would indeed be very helpful.

There is almost no chance that the GRIII does meaningful ETTR

Well... have you tried it? It’s a new metering mode

Don't have one to try, is there a manual online ? How is it described in there ?

yes and yes It certainly would be good to try a real one to see how well it works My comment comes precisely because I looked at the manual/ but I agree needs to be tested in the real world

Here's the manual:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/r_dc/support/manual/pdf/grd3/GR_DIGITAL_III_E.pdf

Page 65 lists the traditional Multi, Center-weighted and Spot modes, what were you refering to ?

nm this is the GRD-III (facepalm ricoh)

So this is the GRIII manual:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/gr-3.pdf

And it lists a "highlight-weighted" mode that "Meters exposure in multiple areas of the frame with emphasis on the bright areas."

So yeah sounds like "make sure the highlights are retained even at the cost of underexposure" mode which is only tangentially related to ETTR.

Afaik this is ettr   The way Reichman described it a while back/ years ago at least

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow