Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Ned-B
Ned-B Senior Member • Posts: 1,660
Re: Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

Ishpuini wrote:

Olifaunt wrote:

My GR-ii auto-exposure almost always gives blown-out highlights, most often in skies/clouds, requiring me to use negative exposure compensation almost always, so that model was already exposing too much to the right if you ask me.

I think maybe you mean the opposite though...

No, he's right.

ETTR is not about overexposing. It's about exposing in such a way that the brightest part of the image is *just* within the dynamic range of the sensor, i.e. as much on the right hand side of the histogram as possible.

The basic idea is that the brightest part of an image can hold the most detailed information. It is well worth looking up how it works.

To take advantage of the full resolving capacity of your sensor, you might want to overexpose for darkish scenes, or underexpose for scenes with bright highlights.

hth, Wim

Wim,

Agree with your last sentence. I always used -1/3 sometimes-2/3 exp comp with my GR I and II knowing I can easily pull out all that shadow detail these cameras have...and I never had issues with blown highlights.

And not sure if you’ve noticed, but I’m finding the III has much better DR which also helps retain highlight detail. Here’s an example. DNG file processed with Adobe Camera Raw. I adjusted my shadows and added a little vibrance, but did nothing else to the image. I was pleased to see how nicely the highlights are rendered. I could not have done this with my GR.

Cheers,

Ned

Ned-B's gear list:Ned-B's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow