Super Takumar 50mm F/1.4 vs SMC version.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
vyoufinder
vyoufinder Senior Member • Posts: 1,273
Re: Super Takumar 50mm F/1.4 vs SMC version.

evogt500 wrote:

vyoufinder wrote:

The S-M-C versions will be noticeably more contrasty and slightly cooler in color. The best one is the SMC K series because it has bigger glass (52mm filters) and 8 aperture blades.

The glass size is the same. The filter diameter size is larger. In fact, Pentax went back to a 49mm filter diameter with the SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 lens, using the same optic as the SMC Pentax K.

Are you sure about that? I think I remember using calipers and comparing and finding that the SMC K had a slightly larger front element. I remember checking, I just don't remember for certain the result but my feeling was that the K in fact was slightly larger. I no longer own either of those lenses (since I sold all of my radioactive lenses.) so I can't physically re-check.

The coatings are also a little improved on the SMC as opposed to the Takumar S-M-C.. Colors more accurate on the SMC.

Someone has both can check?

There's also the 8 bladed aperture.

I do agree that the SMC K is the best in term of build and optics. It was said that the SMC K was the first lens that had ALL elements coated in SMC. The S-M-C, SMC Takumars only had select elements coating in SMC. The Pentax-M and -A were build more with plastic and didn't have the same feel as the original K version.

See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G22LGiKngp4&t=526s

for thorough comparison.

Nice video. Love to see more pics with the 50/1.2.

Thanks. I use the 1.2 a lot; for anything with people in it, it's my choice these days. Try it at lowest light sunrise or sunset for major subject pop on colors. When working with people, one strategy is to load up the 1.2, get semi-close with a distant background, and get one. Then show the person. It wows them every time, and from then on, I have their confidence.

-- hide signature --

Your focus is your reality

vyoufinder's gear list:vyoufinder's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7S II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +179 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow