Canon RP... a mixed bag of feelings

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 9,696
Re: Canon RP... a mixed bag of feelings

1Dx4me wrote:

that is exactly how i feel! the migration to R/RP will cost $1,000s while DSLRs are perfectly capable to do the same thing, or better, in some cases, than R/RP cameras! i rather wait for the next killer DSLR then getting into R/RP world and nothing in substance here. i don't care for a smaller box camera and its EVF! i don't mean to raise blood pressure of some R/RP fans here, who knows, i might get into the next generation of the canon ML cameras when they show up but not the beta versions right now!

Horses for courses.

Your DSLRs work for you. The strengths of mirrorless do not intersect with your needs. No harm no foul.

Your issues with mirrorless are not with these bodies, per-se, but with the format itself and how it is maturing, and that is a technology issue for ALL mirrorless, not just the Canons.

Trust me, these aren't beta cameras. I have owned early mirrorless from three manufacturers, and these aren't even close to beta level. (Now the A7? THAT was a beta level camera, even after firmware updates. Its successor, the A7II, was not.). These Canons are first generation, with performance that is so far beyond what beta was as other manufacturers delved into it, that classifying them as "early experiments" is way off.

As they are, the R bodies work very well. Firmware will address user feedback going forward (that is not a mark of a beta camera, as all cameras now end up needing firmware updates once they are actually in the hands of users, even DSLRs). Successive generations of the format will end up performing closer to DSLRs in some areas as the technology continues to develop, but mirrorless has its own strengths and weaknesses, and it will never be exactly the same as a DSLR, for better or worse, depending on your viewpoint.

Anyway, as I said, don't feel compelled to use a format that isn't what you need, just because it's out there....It ultimately won't give you the results you are looking for if it's not the right format for you, whether it's "mature" or not.

-J

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow