From FF to m43 back to FF (a7 iii vs a7r iii)

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Meg4mi New Member • Posts: 22
From FF to m43 back to FF (a7 iii vs a7r iii)

Hello,

A year ago i ditched my FF Pentax K-1 (36MP), for multiple reasons, but mainly because of the poor AF and a bit slow burst. I wanted something more modern (evf, mirrorless, smaller, snappier, better video)

It was not a camera suitable to get great pictures of my growing child in this regard.

At this time, I have opted for a panasonic g9 (m43) , for a lot of great features (burst rate, awesome EVF, awesome stab, great lenses selection, crop factor to try bird photography, contrast AF with eye AF, high resolution mode, etc...)

But today i've come to the conclusion that i miss the image quality of the pentax, I miss the latitude i was having in the raw file to play with in LR.

I probably miss the ability to crop a lot as well.

I have come to realized that i am more a landscape photographer than anything else and that it is the kind of photography i enjoy more.
Today, I'm thinking about selling my m43 body and lense to go back to full frame, but i don't want to quit mirorless and do not want to loose the great AF to keep getting great familly (child running everywhere) without too much hassle.

This lead me to hesitate between the sony a7 III and the RIII.
- The EVF seems lot better with the RIII (and the one in the G9 is very good), so i'm a bit affraid to be disappointed with the one in the a7III.
- The resolution of the R seems a good arguments, as i'm going to do mainly landscape, and the ability to crop a lot is very tempting. Plus I think that i miss resolution today with the G9, as well as low noise and high DR. And i wonder if the 24mp from the a7III will cut it, or if the 36mp i had with the K-1 have set my level of expectation much higher.
- Crop ability can allow someone more in the wildlife domain as well.

- on the other side, the a7 III seems better at tracking and focusing, which seems great to keep getting great familly pictures ,

- and maybe is less exigent for very good quality lenses

- plus, it costs less and alow me to buy a lense more probably.

So there am i ! Quite torn between these 2 beast.
What do you think i should do ?

Meg4mi

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Pentax K-1 Sony a7 III Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow