17-85/18-55 STM/18-135 STM lens choices

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
paulyt76
paulyt76 New Member • Posts: 20
17-85/18-55 STM/18-135 STM lens choices

Hi,

after a lot of thought my 5d mark 1 and 28-135 combo is now sold. I’m now shopping around for the best value 750/760d (for many reasons not for discussion in a lens forum).

Im not sure the 28-135 was ever an excellent lens but it paired well with FF and I never really pixel-peeped into the corners nor worried about distortion, though I knew they were present.

so I’m now shopping around for a sort of equivalent for apps-c, at the same time trying not to obsess with details such as CA, distortion and corner softness.

As always I’m on a budget, sourcing second hand if possible, so I’ve found the following drop into my range -

17-85 - cheap now, has a nice range, bit too heavy (main reason for 5d swap), too much distortion?

18-55 f4/5.6 stm - highly regarded kit lens, may miss extra reach. But cheap and could save up for 15-85.

18-135 IS STM - any real world users who can comment on this lens, outside of a studio test? Like the weight and range of this lens

15-85 - I want this! But at the moment too expensive.

Any feedback on above lenses appreciated. I’m also getting a 24mm pancake prime as well (enjoyed the 50 on the 5d)

thanks

paulyt76's gear list:paulyt76's gear list
Nikon D90
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow