Samyang AF 24mm/f2.8 Lens Review

Started Mar 26, 2019 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Foto4x4 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,246
Samyang AF 24mm/f2.8 Lens Review

I’m another happy user of this lens. It’s sharp centrally wide open and just a little soft at the outer edges. However it’s very sharp from f3.5 and by f4.0 it’s sharp across the frame and very sharp even in the corners at f5.6. Compared to a 24/F1.8ZA APS-C lens I owned previously, to my inspection of similar test images, it’s at least that lens’s equal but of course the Samyang is a FE.

It does show some vignetting up until about f5.6 but that’s corrected by the Lr lens profile. The profile handles raw files better than the in-camera correction on jpegs IMO. Distortion is handled well by both the profile and in-camera, though at the outer edges I felt there was still some stretching horizontally (barrel distortion) though only noticable if the subject is a regular shape like a row of even windows or the like. However it’s barely noticeable and I only mention it so no one thinks it’s a perfect lens. Most photos you won’t see it at all.

Wide open it shows a little CA in high contrast areas wide open. Again it’s pretty much gone as soon as you stop down and handled by the profile in post but not as well in-camera. So I recommend shooting raw and PP.

AF on my Sony A7RII is fast and sharp. It appears to work as a native lens with no real hang ups. The MF ring is smooth and easy to focus with. Materials are decent and it’s dainty lens hood looks cool though it probably doesn’t really do much to reduce flare. It’s attractive and compact too. Build quality appears okay but it’s no Sony G or Zeiss. It fits snugly to the body but is not water resistant. A nice addition is the included lens case.

My main reason for ownership is that I use the kit zoom rather than a 24-70ZA so I wanted to have something wider when required. If I replace the kit lens, I’ll probably choose the Tamron 28-75/f2.8 so the Samyang seemed logical purchase. I did buy mine second hand off eBay though it looks unused and at AU$300 was great value. At retail I might not have invested though and put the money aside towards the upcoming Tamron 17-28mm.

I recommend this lens.

-- hide signature --

Quote: “If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.”, Robert Capa

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 70-200 F4 +8 more
Samyang AF 24mm F2.8 FE
Prime lens • Sony FE
Announced: Jun 11, 2018
Foto4x4's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow