Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Ishpuini Veteran Member • Posts: 6,230
Re: Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

Wasn't it the late Bruce Fraser that promoted ETTR initially? Anyway, that's where I learned about it. His "Real World Camera RAW" is the only "old" software book that I have kept, if only for the excellent first chapter that explains the digital camera vs exposure basics the best way I have ever read.

The GRIII seems to do ETTR indeed. A bit like early Pentax DSLRs did in terms of resulting exposure (probably not in terms of technology, I hope ), though with more consistent results. The standard multizone is tuned like most brands, i.e. slightly overexposed, so this gets you both tastes...

I've set my GRIII on this ETTR mode, knowing from experience with my K-3II's that the Sony 24MP sensors allow more than decent shadow recovery at base ISO. From the few in-house-and-around-the-garden images that I have made so far, I find I can generally dial in an extra +0.3Ev, and still keep the highlights within the sensor's DR.

Note that I'm still to take my GRIII onto the street, so my conclusions may evolve...

Wim

[EDIT]

PS: It seems I was wrong. Though Bruce Fraser was among the first to deal with the subject, it seems Michael Reichmann was indeed the first to write about it after a conversation with Photoshop's Thomas Knoll. I stand corrected...

[/EDIT]

-- hide signature --

Antwerp, Belgium, GMT+1

Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Ricoh Theta S Ricoh GR III Pentax Q Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-3 II +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow