Anyone thinking about the future of photography?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
javiair Regular Member • Posts: 453
Anyone thinking about the future of photography?

Maybe this is a question that I alone is thinking about but asking if anyone else out there is thinking about where the future of photography is going? I dont mean taking pictures. People have been taking more pictures now than ever before, but I am talking about the companies that make cameras like Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic and anyone else I have missed.

There have been articles sending out warnings about Canon and Nikon could be the next Kodak. Are the DSLRs dying? is there still a market for the crop sensor? Will micro 4/3s be gone soon? Canon and Fuji predict a 50% reduction of sales in the future and thats a big number. And I figured RnD has to be cut or companies will just have to make less in order to survive. If they do cut back, which format(s) will fade away?

I own Nikon gear. Two Nikon DSLR bodies, 4 lenses (my Tamrons wont work with the Zs FTZ adapter) and thinking of what is my next move. Are the new Z lines and the EOS R lines destined to fail like the Nikon1 system? NIkon already is giving away the FTZ adapter less than a year of the Zs release. Will the Panasonic S1/S1R take off or will that never get off the ground? Sony so far seems to be the only one in a good position.

Im at a crossroads still and Im sure that I cant be the only one. I dont want to be the guy who buys into a system that wont be there in a few years. Anyway, just asking and sorting things out at the same time. Seeing if anyone else is in the same boat.

javiair's gear list:javiair's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow