16mm 2.8 vs 16mm 1.4

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
notchy
notchy Regular Member • Posts: 133
16mm 2.8 vs 16mm 1.4

I took these pics using an X-T2 on a Gorillapod (3K) from a bedroom window late yesterday afternoon. I was going to reshoot them on account of the unhelpful overexposed fence, deep shadows and lack of anything substantive in the central area of the scene. However, I seem to have used up the bulk of my monthly gallery upload allowance and the shots nevertheless illustrate one feature of the new 2.8 that I'm not so happy with, namely its corner and edge sharpness. In these pics this is particularly evident when looking at the various leafless-tree branches in the scene.

These JPEGs are straight from the camera. 6000x4000px is available (see the 'Original' link under 'Available Sizes') and they haven't been touched by any editing apps. All the JPEG processing parameters are per camera defaults. Provia film simulation, ISO 200, etc. It's all in the EXIF for those interested. The white balance was set to auto; perhaps in the interests of consistency I could have locked that down, but I don't think it's affected the comparison.

The point of focus was roughly in the centre of the scene, on the sunlit side of the boundary between the broken shadows and the sunlit area of the lawn. I aimed for the exposure recommended by the camera's TTL metering (which was set to 'Multi'), less one-third of a stop, but as you can see, the fence on the right and our neighbour's garage wall is still overexposed. I used the electronic shutter. I did shoot a couple of pics with the mechanical shutter to compare with their ES equivalents, but even when pixel-peeping, I couldn't discern any difference.

Anyway, if I've forgotten any pertinent facts I may edit this or else add something below. Sub-optimal scene and lighting notwithstanding, I hope some find the shots helpful, particularly those interested in comparing the two 16mm primes.

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8575915516/albums/fujinon-16mm-f2-8-vs-16mm-f1-4

Edit: just noticed that the 'Original' size is not available when not logged in. Is it only the gallery owner who can see the original size? If so, this rather spoils the comparison.

notchy's gear list:notchy's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3
Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow