From G7 to... GX80 or GX9?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Maren V New Member • Posts: 8
From G7 to... GX80 or GX9?

Hello all

I have the Lumix G7 and am actually pretty happy with the camera. My most used lens by far is the 14-140 II and my second most used lens is the 20mm pancake. I take stills only, no video. I pretty much only use the camera when I travel, but I travel quite a bit at the moment. I will take some time out from work later this year for an extended trip and I am considering buying a new body.

The reasons why I am interested in the GX80 and GX9 are as follows

• IBIS
  • USB charging (I like to travel light and the huge external charger annoys me)
  • Tilt screen (I never use the flip out screen on the G7 - a wasted feature for me)
  • Better sensor on the GX9

I guess my questions are as follows:

1) Is the GX9 worth it for the better sensor and newer technology? I won't be buying anything until July, but at the moment I could get the GX80 with 12-32mm lens (which I would be selling) for 380GBP, whereas the GX9 costs 200GBP more for the body only.

2) Is anyone using either of those cameras primarily with the 14-140 II? I have read a lot of reviews and they generally seem to state that these cameras are not that comfortable to use "with larger lenses". I don't really know what this means. Would you consider the 14-140 II already a larger lens? I guess everyone's preferences are different but would be nice to hear from some people that use this combo. I think the 14-140 II sits perfectly on my G7 so I do worry about giving up some comfort. I know I could buy the additional hand grip which I imagine I would.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow