FZ300 Image Stabilization

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mattofino New Member • Posts: 3
FZ300 Image Stabilization

Hello people out there,

I recently bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ300 to upgrade/compliment my old Canon Powershot sx50hs. The idea was to sacrifice extreme telephoto for it's speedy performance and fast lens. Indeed the FZ300 turned out to be extremely quick, however, I am trying to figure out if there is something wrong with its image stabilization or if Canon's IS just spoiled me. For anything below 1/150s at full 600mm (in an effort to keep the small sensor's ISO low) I find it impossible to hand-hold the Panasonic steady enough to get a sharp picture. This is in comparison to the sx50hs which I could reliably get results by hand, at 1200mm no less, with a shutter speed of 1/60s and if I was lucky down to 1/30s. The FZ300 will take a discernible picture at a similar shutter which at first glance seems fine, but under closer inspection the details are just a mushy mess.

I have tested this in all sorts of conditions and settings comparing the cameras, and the problem is very consistent. The results are drastic enough that I can't help but wonder if there is some malfunction going on in there, but only having owned Canon superzooms until now, I don't know if this is just a "panasonic thing." It would be a shame, because the FZ300 in performance is much a better camera otherwise. The IS is definitely on, and helps, but to a lesser extent than I thought it would. I hope some of you can shed some light on this with your experience.

Thanks,

Matthew

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow