Initial focus point for E-M1 MkII focus bracketing, no stacking

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GAitken Regular Member • Posts: 258
Initial focus point for E-M1 MkII focus bracketing, no stacking

I'm trying to get a better handle on non-stacked focus-bracketing on the E-M1. Here's what I think I know:

1. Must be in auto-focus mode

2. With stacked focus-bracketing, the camera only takes 8 shots and moves the focus point both forward and backward from the initial focus point. The amount of movement of the focus-point with each step is selectable, but fuzzy (1-8).

3. With non-stacked focus-bracketing, I can set the number of shots, but the camera successively moves the focus point only backward (farther away). The amount of movement of the focus-point with each step is selectable, but fuzzy (1-8).

I'm trying to take a close-up of a flower and the closest thing is the pistil, which does not have enough contrast for the auto-focus to lock onto it. As a consequence, I can't get that part in focus.  The bracket + stack mode does a better job in terms of focus options, but the restriction on number of shots is too limiting.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ways around this?  The obvious thing is for Oly to fix the focus-step mechanism to allow you to choose whether it steps forward, backward, or both; or to do some trick where you can manually focus the first shot.

Thanks for any hints,

Gary

GAitken's gear list:GAitken's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow