Large lenses on small bodies

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sunshadow Forum Member • Posts: 88
Large lenses on small bodies

I started M43 for travel because my Nikon DSLR was just too heavy and too bulky for me. So I got a Panasonic GF6 (in 2013 I think?) and then an Oly E-PL7, which are small, no EVF.  Then I got a G85 last year and subsequently got the 12-35 pro f/2.8 ad 35-100 pro f/2.8, and also have the 12-60 and 45-200 kit lenses. I miss the compactness of my older cameras and feel like I'm almost getting into DSLR territory again with the body size when it comes to travel, except that, you know, a lens like the 35-100 f/2.8 is like 1/3 the size of a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8. And I also have several pancake lenses and a few of those compact kit lenses like the 12-32 which make the small ones pocketable but not the large one.

I'm wondering how the large lenses would perform on a small body like the gx850. It is listed as weatherproof, which is important to me, considering I broke my GF6 in a puddle. (Thus not looking at the GX85 or GX9). And those lenses all have OIS.

Does anyone use larger lenses on smaller bodies? I'm not suggesting I get rid of the G85. Just a different use case for when I want to travel even more compact but take the nicer lenses.

Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
h2k
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow