Color Space, Calibration and other settings

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Spiffyguy New Member • Posts: 18
Color Space, Calibration and other settings

Got my fancy Fuji XT3 and my Fancy Ultrawide monitor, Vast 35. Need to pick up that GoPro Hero7 and I am ready to rock some vlogs and images. So I suspect I need to start doing things proper way. Complete newbie on this so would like some insight as to what I should be doing.

1. First thing I need to do is calibrate my monitor. This will require a tool. So far I have seen recommendations for the X-Rite iDisplay Pro ($260) and the X-Rite ColorMunki Display ($163). Still poking but in general I have heard the X-Rite are better than the Spyders, also the software sucks and I should be using Displaycal?? What is the big difference between these two? I plan to calibrate my main display and my laptop.

2. Leading to the next question, once i get the "tool" do I factory reset the settings for my monitor and reset the windows/graphics card profiles or will the software reset/manage the PC for me. I have an Nvidia 1070 right now. I am not too hip on the concept of color and have seen some comments about wide gamut? having issues with some apps. Meaning some apps can't use the color profile you set up with the tool. Monitor specs say "100% sRGB Coverage". Which leads me to...

3. Currently I am using Darktable because I am cheap But thinking of dipping into the Adobe koolaid for the sake of tutorials, easy of use and the combo of photoshop. So IN CAMERA do I want to set my colorspace to sRGB or AdobeRGB? I am still figuring out the XT3 as well as figuring out stills and video. Not sure what sort of setting the GoPro has as far as setting the color profiles. Ideally I would have the two cameras and my main PC all on the same working profile/color space? I intend to use Davinci Resolve to edit the video, which I have been enjoying. Do I need to change settings in there to a difference colorspace/profile? I would guess that once the monitor is calibrated and settings are correct, should be easy enough to just drop in footage from either camera and LUT with minor tweaking.

As you can see I am a bit clueless. I have been getting by up until now with just tweaks here and there but would like to up the game so to speak. Still wrapping my head around the various video bitrates and settings that I will need to use, but I think getting my colors right is the best place for me to start. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Would like to get a bit more professional workflow and settings.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow