Best gear for close-up today...Canon 65mm MP-e ?

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bridgedale Regular Member • Posts: 150
Best gear for close-up today...Canon 65mm MP-e ?

A colleague at work asked me to recommend the best gear for some specific close-up photography. The equipment will be used for taking close-up images of welds. A typical weld would be 5-10mm wide, and he suggested that the weld should cover at least 2000 pixels.

I happens to own the Canon MP-E and the Canon MT 24-ex flash, and this combo immediately sprang to mind. I have now taken some pictures with this lens on both FF and APS-C cameras, and I expect him to say these results are acceptable.

However, is this overkill? I am aware of the possibility to use extension tubes, and will mention that as an option. However, will a small sensor camera be a just as good option for this application?

I should mention that a lightly used (according to the seller) lens and MT-24 flash is available used where I live.

Your help is highly appreciated. I just want to make sure I don't recommend something that is unnecessarily expensive.

Finn

bridgedale's gear list:bridgedale's gear list
Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow