HX99 as second camera to FF mirrorless

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
M0jave
M0jave New Member • Posts: 14
HX99 as second camera to FF mirrorless

Hello everyone,

I'm considering getting a Cyber-shot HX99 as a second camera, mainly for the zoom, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback from those of you who have been using a similar setup for a while (not even the HX99 necessarily, even just one of the older models in the line, or a similar alternative).

My context is basically this: I've been using crop-sensor DSLRs for years, with a multitude of prime and zoom lenses, and I've recently (a few months ago) switched entirely to full frame mirrorless and primes only. It was an eye-opening experience and probably one of the best gear-related decisions I've ever made, not lastly because of the dramatic change in portability that this entailed. I do travel photography and move around a lot with only a moderately-sized backpack, so size and weight are a big issue for me.

Focal length - wise, I have a 12mm, a 35mm, a 55mm, and an 85mm, all excellent and small, and I use all of them, usually picking two (rarely three) to take with me, depending on where I'm going and what I expect to be shooting. What I don't have is a mid - long telephoto, and while I don't often need one, it's frustrating on the rare occasions when I do. I have looked into the options for my mirrorless (a Sony), but I simply can't find anything that's simultaneously long, good quality, and not gigantic.

Which brings me to what I'm hoping would be a simpler option: getting a second camera, a tiny ultra-zoom, for just those occasions. Obviously, I understand the IQ would be nowhere near the same, but with RAW capabilities and limiting myself to good lighting conditions, I think I could live with that. So, any opinions on the matter from people with similar setups? Has it been at least a partial solution for you, or just more frustration than it's worth?

M0jave's gear list:M0jave's gear list
Sony a7 III Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow