GX8 weird EVF problem with Olympus 40-150 4-5.6 II

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jrg
jrg Senior Member • Posts: 2,230
GX8 weird EVF problem with Olympus 40-150 4-5.6 II

OK, weird stuff. After a few days using my 100-300 Vario I gave my Oly 40-150 4-5.6 a go. It was my GX8's first date with an Olympus lens. Shot it all afternoon and had lots of fun and got lots of shots. Came in and after getting a coffee turned the camera back on to review what I had shot. Suddenly I got this real nasty sounding ratchety noise, like gears grinding. Panicking, I shut the camera off and even then the ratchety sound continued a short while before going off.

I waited, I opened out the rear screen, then turned the camera on. Same bad deal, plus I watched as the screen went down a few EV levels as the LVF/MON AUTO appeared, then faded. I turned the camera off, same delay in the noise dying as before.

Freaked, I slapped the 40-150 on my G3. No problem. And I intro'd my GX8 to the rest of my Zuiko family, 9-18 and 12-40 and there was no issue. Even my 17 pancake was well greeted.

I waited a while, put the 40-150 back on and for a moment it was all quiet on the western front but then the screen went down an EV and the nasty grinding sound returned and the LVF/MON AUTO appeared again.

Any ideas? Cleaning contacts isn’t an issue, the lens and camera work fine with other partners. And every time this happens the image seems to be zooming in slightly despite the fact that I'm not doing anything with the zoom.

jrg's gear list:jrg's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +10 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow