Change of mind on Z7, is the logic sound?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,367
Change of mind on Z7, is the logic sound?

When the first reviews came in on the Z cameras, I wasn't really all that interested because I was predominantly shooting outdoor action (field sports, BIF with long glass) and it didn't seem like the AF was all that much of an improvement (if any) over my D750.

Then, I got back to shooting landscapes while hiking. My day hiking kit was D750, Nikkor 24-120 f/4 and Tamron 15-30 f/2.8.

I like my D750 a lot. I've been shooting it so long, it just fits like a glove. But, I started to notice that my 24-120 isn't as sharp as I'd like it to be, even at f/8. The Tamron is plenty sharp, but it's big and heavy and I rarely use the f/2.8. All told the D750 + 24-120 + 15-30 is 5.6lb (before the usual accessories).

If I wanted to upgrade optically from the 24-120, I'd probably be looking at the Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 and my total kit weight would go up to 6.5lb. That's getting heavy.

The whole thing seems a bit much for hiking. I could leave the Tamron 15-30 behind, but it's a great lens and when you want it, it's really useful to have it. Some types of areas, that's all I use (it really depends upon how close you are to things). Other times, I need more than the 15-30. I could also explore a set of primes, but I'm not really a prime guy. I'm often hiking with a group and I just can't constantly be stopping to change lenses just to get the next shot and the type of landscape stuff I shoot, you can't really "zoom with your feet".  You are where you are and the scene is where it is and you have to adapt to it, not the other way around.

In the proposed upgrade to the 24-70 f/2.8, I wouldn't really be using the f/2.8 in either lens much if any for my landscape work. So, I'm carrying larger lenses than I really need.

It's as if I'd actually like some high quality f/4 lenses that are smaller and lighter and optically superior. Yep, you can see where this is leading. If you put a Z7, 24-70 F/4 S, 14-30 f/4 S kit together, then you're looking at 3.5lb, great optics and noticeably smaller size. So, the three proposed kits are:

D750, 15-30, 24-120 = 5.6lb (optically less than ideal in 24-120 range - I have this now)

D750, 15-30, 24-70 = 6.5lb (good optically, both lenses f/2.8, but heavy)

Z7, 14-30, 24-70 = 3.5lb (very good optically, picks up additional pixels, doesn't cover longer than 70mm, all at f/4)

So, I'd knock 2 lbs off my current kit and get better glass or knock 3 lbs off the improved FX kit.

On top of this, the type of AF in the Z7 is probably even better for landscapes than the D750, since my subjects aren't moving.

So, now I'm seeing the appeal of a Z kit for traveling/hiking landscape photography. Perhaps time to rent a Z7 w/24-70S and go shoot some to see how I like it.

-- hide signature --

John

Nikon D750 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
NCB
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow