Costco vs Shutterfly (vs ?)

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
phil from seattle
phil from seattle Senior Member • Posts: 2,819
Costco vs Shutterfly (vs ?)

I've started getting my photos printed and framed. I've seen a number of recommendation that, frankly, are all over the map. So I decided to just try a couple to see what I might get. I had one 11x14 print done by Shutterfly and Costco. I was surprised to find the Costco print significantly better. In particular, there seems to a real lack of fine detail in the Shutterfly print. Leaves on a tree in the Shutterfly print were blurry blobs but Costco reproduced them faithfully. It doesn't take a loupe to see it. Even my wife from about 3 feet away could see the difference.

Given that the Costco price is less than half of Shutterfly's, something just doesn't seem right. I kind of expected Costco to have the worse quality. Does this jibe with other's experience? Based on this for "standard" sized prints, Costco is a winner.

One thing about Costco, they don't have as many options on sizes. In particular, panorama prints. Don't think I'd use Shutterfly period so still looking for a pano print service. Any suggestions before I go and try a few more?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow