Florida Wildlife: Overcast and Rain (3/23/19)

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 31,009
Florida Wildlife: Overcast and Rain (3/23/19)

Sharing some more Florida birds and wildlife - this post will catch me up quite a bit from my last 3 posts which were all trying to get through January 19th...this post includes shots from January 21st, January 26th, and then I was away on vacation the following weekend so I'll be able to hop forward to Feb 10th for the next batch.

I just have two quick shots from Monday the 21st, then I encountered some grey overcast conditions and rain (Yes, it can actually happen here in sunny Florida sometimes!) on the Saturday, the 26th so my shooting day was a little shorter, and didn't involve going after as many BIFs.  As always, all shots taken with the A6300 and FE100-400mm combo, and all posted at 1400 pixels on the long side:

A great blue heron flying past

One more as he banked a bit

A green iguana, turning on the orange color bits to look attractive

Shooting in a steady rain, this blue jay was trying to find a spot where the branches blocked the raindrops

A male red-winged blackbird coming up to the top of a branch to see if the rain had stopped

A brief lull in the rain allowed this tricolor heron to go fishing - when the rain is dotting the water's surface, it's much more difficult for the birds to see the fish moving below

Pied-billed grebes don't seem to mind one way or the other if it's raining - they're in the water most of the day anyway

A palm warbler up close - looks like he had found a place to shelter fairly well from the rains

A female red-winged blackbird posing on the side of a thin branch

It was mega-overcast, and the waters were reflecting the sky - which was pure grey...it gave this tree swallow jetting around at high speed a strange sort of empty background - the ripples can just barely be made out to reveal it was water, not sky

A green heron, hunting from the usual perch above the water

It was still freshly wet all around - the showers were off and on all that day - this green heron was working down low on the floating beds of vegetation just above the water to hunt

This little guy would look even more colorful if it wasn't so overcast and wet - a northern parula working his way through the dense forest

It had started to drizzle again, and was still very overcast and grey, so high ISOs were needed with this female anhinga bringing back some nest materials, flying low over the water

A wood stork flying back to the nest in the rain - the softness isn't missed focus, but shooting through 50 feet of falling rain, which diffuses everything a bit

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow