Loving this new camera, G9

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
liquidsquid Senior Member • Posts: 1,784
Loving this new camera, G9

It is amazing the jump in technology from the GH-2 to this camera. Very impressed by the ability to lift shadows in very high contrast shots, the fast focus, the burst for action, etc. So easy to use, as well as take far more shots than I have patience to sort out.

I am pretty rusty it seems after taking more than a year off of "real" photography as my phone was almost as good as my GH-2 for the type of pictures I was taking. I am trying to push myself to first get familiar with the camera, and then start working on getting better at taking pictures of what interests me (landscapes, etc.). Maybe join a club.

One thing, it really shows how mediocre the old 45-200mm lens is. The new 12-60mm kicks its rear. I took a bunch of bird shots, and the resolution of the lens isn't up to snuff for the new 20Mp sensor.

Not artistic marvels here, just some walkabout fun images.

Nearby park. I have an older image from the Sony R1 I wanted to compare this to. 10+ years ago.

First thing I noticed above is the preservation of the sky. GH-2 would have exposed this to the right too much with the settings I had. It would have been trash. Snow was a bit blown, but intentional to bring out trees. I should have tried HDR. I still have to learn a bit here.

Geese on my pond.

I would have missed this shot on the older cam. This wasn't burst, but I was able to trigger manually several shots quickly and got one reasonable one.

Burst mode fun

My pup mid-play. One decent action shot out of many, many tries. All in-focus, just a variety of not great stills with silly expressions, boring, or didn't show her personality.

My driveway this morning.

Nice creamy blue skies. No longer have to futz with the controls in LR to get the color right. I have been wanting this back since the untimely death of my old Sony DSC-R1. The G1 didn't do it, neither did the GH-2. Both had noise in the blues and poor color matching. This is unretouched, no shadow lifting (which I have since done). It was a very bright day with harsh shadows.

-- hide signature --

My pictures...
{Whoops, dead link!}

liquidsquid's gear list:liquidsquid's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow