Decahexagon softbox buying advice please?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DaveHutch Senior Member • Posts: 1,992
Decahexagon softbox buying advice please?

Hi all, I recently started buying some kit for a home studio and started with a couple of 32" Neewer soft boxes. All well and good but I'd also like a larger, rounder main source.

My shortlist is as follows:

Selens 105cm umbrella softbox

Pixapro 105cm umbrella softbox

Neewer 120cm deep umbrella softbox

As I'm using Godox Ving V860II flashguns, I know I don't need or want parabolic so that's fine.
I can see the Pixapro has a small deflector dish which might help even out the light in terms of hotspots but I see it also only attaches the internal diffuser at 8 points instead of 16?
The Selens looks a bit shallower and has no deflector plate
The Neewer is a bit larger and appears much deeper, but still not parabolic of course.

My question is, should I avoid any of these for any particular reason and are they all suitable for my flashguns, using my S-type Speedlite Flash Brackets?

Do any of them have a particular advantage in terms of performance and flexibility? I would want o experiment with various setups in terms of internal/external diffusers.

I think my room should be able to take any of them fairly comfortably.

Any advice appreciated.

DaveHutch's gear list:DaveHutch's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow