Setup for clinical use

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ElmuchoDuderino New Member • Posts: 3
Setup for clinical use

Hello to everyone.

I am working in forensic science and have been looking for a lens for the EM10 Mark 3 for quite some time now, but i just can't really decide (because I don't know what to look for).

I will use this camera for capturing bruises and such on the skin of people who got into a fight and whatnot. The pictures will quite often be shot the same way. I'm placing my special ruler on the skin with my left hand and hold the camera with my right. And since I'm not working stationary, I cannot use a special setup with external flashes and scrrens so I have to work with the available light.

So I'm looking for a lens that will work well with that kind of distance between the object and camera (I guess about 40-50 cm). Also one that (and that's where my knowledge of focus points and all have long been surpassed) can handle the small distance between the ruler and the skin. The ruler forms a 90° angle and I hold it parallel to the "plain of my lens" (I hope you guys understand what i mean). Now since body parts are usually somewhat curved, and the focus is set on the ruler, I sometimes have problems with the depth of focus and therefor blurred parts on the skin.

As far as I understand a fixed lens would work well since they use the available light the best. But I'm quite unsure wether diffrent light will end up "faking" the true colors. So my first thought was a ring-flash system. The problems I'm seeing with that is, that a flash is quite uncomfortable for the patients (think of childabuse or domestic assault) and they all look quite big and not at all "plain". Maybe there is something like a plain LED-light ring that won't be too aggresive on the patients but will allow true colors and good "light coverage".

Another quite important thing is, that an olympus lens would work well for me since I can get a good discount on their products (and I also have to buy the camera itself).

So maybe someone can give me some advice on what o look for. Thank you guys in advance!

Greetings from Germany

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow