Olympus and Panasonic menu systems---the difference?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jrg
jrg Senior Member • Posts: 2,230
Olympus and Panasonic menu systems---the difference?

Are any of you fellow m43 members enlightened masters of the Panasonic menu system? Normally, since I'm old film school, I get a new camera and run through the menus and learn the camera, consulting the manual only if I need extra help. It might surprise some but I find the Olympus menus highly intuitive and easy to handle, save for a few issues (MY SET one of them) that are a pain.

Not so the Panasonic menus which come with a bevy of highfalutin exotic terms. If there's any doubt that the team at Panasonic is made up of tech nerds and the team at Olympus of veteran camera makers, the differences in the menus are proof, (MHO). Until I got a GX8 yesterday my only Panasonic has been a G3 which I got back in 2011. I found (and still find) the menus a pain and only through trial and error was able to set up my G3. And I always have dreaded going back and dealing with the menu system.

OK, all the various menu systems are different and they take getting used to if you're more familiar with another format. But I can't help but feel I am approaching the Panasonic menus and having a bad reaction to their terminology and nomenclature. It was one of the reasons that I resolved that my next camera would be a Panasonic; I needed to find out what if anything I was doing wrong. And yeah, I know---attitude and predisposition play into it, too. Make no mistake, half my glass arsenal is Panasonic and my G3 has been a real and reliable trooper. But the "Olympus in me" (I shot OM for years) is strong and has deep roots. Old habits die hard; I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Any and all subjective and objective feedback regarding the different approaches to the two menu systems is invited.

jrg's gear list:jrg's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow