G9 (or Panasonic) 6k photo and SH C-AF speed -

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 7,068
G9 (or Panasonic) 6k photo and SH C-AF speed -

Been playing with the 6k photo mode recently, perhaps somebody can diagnose this for me. When the drive mode is on 6k, the AF is very similar to how it is during video recording. In 6k mode, the initial AF lock is as fast as normal stills shooting, but once it locks, the as i pan around the C-AF is slow and methodical, very smooth like it is with video.

Now this does have some advantages it would seem, it doesn't do the typical Panasonic CDAF wobble, it just sticks to the subject (as long as the subject isn't moving much). But, on THIS 6k article, the writer says the following of 6k photo mode.

I did an extensive test of 6K photo mode at the fun end of season “pond skim” event at Telluride ski resort. This was also a great test of auto focus with some fast moving action. It passed with flying colors when using 6K mode – pretty much every frame was in focus in dozens of clips, despite very fast moving action, with skiers moving from over 100 feet away to maybe 6 feet away in a couple of seconds, at speeds around 30-40 mph. I used AFC in 255 point focus mode for this, without any custom settings. I was using the Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8 lens with a shutter speed of 1/2000s. Interestingly, I also took several sequences using the “Super high speed” burst mode which takes RAW images at 20 frames per second with autofocus, and while autofocus worked reasonably well and got most shots in focus, there were significantly more out of focus than with the 6K photo mode.

For me, the SH 1 and 2 modes and 6k/4k have the same video-like C-AF, while the HIGH burst mode (with LV) has the typical faster stills AF. My hunch is it's that im using an Olympus lens as i don't have any Panasonic lenses ATM, can anybody confirm this? I don't believe i have missed any settings so this is the only thing i can think of.

EDIT: To offer another user experience, HERE is another article where the writer says the same as me, that the 6k mode was slow AF like video. What is going on here?

What is going on here?

-- hide signature --

"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear. " -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow