Asking for help with focus/sharper pictures on X-T30

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MikeCamWV Forum Member • Posts: 91
Asking for help with focus/sharper pictures on X-T30

I've been going back and forth over whether to buy an X-T30 or a Sony A6400. I bought a x-t20 a couple of months ago to replace a stolen Sony NEX-5T. I loved the colors and, for lack of a better term, "feel" of the images from the X-T20, but no matter what I did, about half of my pictures weren't sharp and looked out of focus. I ended up returning the x-T20 and decided to wait until the a6400 and x-T30 were released. I've tried both the a6400 and the x-t30, and I'm having a similar issue with the x-t30 as I did the x-t20 - I'm still getting about 1/2 of my shots that aren't sharp or look to be out of focus when shooting indoors . In AF-S, I'm getting the green focused boxes and the beep showing it's focused. With Continuous Auto focus (C on the front of the camera), it seems to keep going in and out of focus even as I half hold the shutter button (green box on subject that keeps coming and going). With the a6400, I'm seeing probably 90% of the pics that are sharp and in focus.

However, when I get Fuji pics that are in focus, I like the way they look a whole lot better than the Sony ones. I also don't like the way a6400 feels in my hand as much as I like the Fuji. So I decided to keep the x-t30, but now I need to learn how to use it. I've tried both the 27mm F2.8 and the 15-45mm kit lens that came with it. I'm most comfortable shooting in P mode, and I just shoot jpeg (not interested in editing RAW right now). I tend to keep ISO at either Auto 3200 or Auto 6400 in our house because the lighting isn't great. Based on what I've been reading, I saw that setting a minimum shutter speed of 1/60 with the Auto ISO is a good idea, and that seems to have helped a little although it makes the image a little darker than I'd like (especially at 3200). With regard to focus, I can't seem to figure out Continuous Focus at all.

So, I really think my problem is probably two-fold: I don't really understand how to setup the auto focus, and I think in P mode the Fuji is defaulting to a shutter speed that is too slow causing motion blur when the subject moves (my daughter, our dog, even my wife posing for me to test the cameras after too many pictures). On the a6400 in P mode, most of the shots defaulted at 1/30 - 1/80; whereas on the Fuji in P mode, the shutter speeds default to around 1/4 - 1/25 before I set the minimum shutter speed in the Auto ISO. I tried setting the shutter speed to 1/125 for pictures of our dog, but it was way too dark. I've read that the shutter speed should really be at least 1/60 - 1/80 if there is any movement. Also, another question -  on the Fuji, when I bump the shutter speed up, the image doesn't look dark; it just looks dark after I take the image. I thought the preview on the LCD showed what you were going to get before taking the picture so you have a visual that the image is too dark.

That's the background - any tips on what I should try? And back to my original question, any tips for resources I can use that will teach me how to take better pictures overall with the x-T30? For example, this is one of the really good ones I found for the Sony a6400 (https://youtu.be/1aaTKtj3NDA).

Thanks!

Mike

MikeCamWV's gear list:MikeCamWV's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ +1 more
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T30 Sony a6400
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow