External mic

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DAP MV
DAP MV Regular Member • Posts: 194
External mic

I don't do videos. Maybe occasionally a short clip, if I see something interesting, but nothing on the "professional" level. When I bought P1000, I tested how the 4k works, but that was it.

On the other hand I am a gadget freak (...and proud if it... ), so the fact that there is a 3.5mm hole in the camera and it's not being used bothered me some. Also, I have a good fluid head which I seldom ever use, and it's perfect for movie taking.

Long story short, I bought an external microphone. Nothing special, MC-50, $30 altogether, but it seemed to have acceptable parameters:

I tested the microphone by recording the same piece of music played for many configurations (internal camera mic, external mic with 0, +10dB, -10dB and low cut functions on of off, different combinations). The results could be summarized in two points:

1. While recorded with external microphone, the sound is definitely fuller (broader spectrum), and sounds more natural.

2. With external microphone noise can definitely be heard (-74dB SNR corresponds to 20dB-A, which is audible noise, so no surprise here; good old days come to mind when we were listening to the music on the compact cassettes). To make things worse,  obviously one of the devices (microphone or camera) has AGC built in. If there is a period of silence after a louder part, the noise level can be heard slowly climbing up.

One more time a proverb about being too poor to save by buying cheap stuff proved to be true. Should've bought me a Rode. 

I am going to keep the mic, it's good enough to experiment with it and learn new things.

-- hide signature --

Darius

Nikon Coolpix P1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow