Playing around with Panasonic's 6k photo -

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 7,059
Playing around with Panasonic's 6k photo -

Lots of cameras out there with amazing features, one i have been experimenting with is the 6k photo on my G9. For anybody who isn't privy, it's basically a 30fps h.265 video clip shot at 18mp (small downsample from 20mp) in 4/3 format (not sure if you can change that 4/3), which you pull frames from in-camera after it's recorded, or in post from an h.265 player. It uses the E shutter of course, with a fairly fast scan rate for little chance of rolling shutter.

The limitations are the AF isn't quick moving like with normal stills AF, it behaves more like video AF, which i find better for portraits where the subject is relatively stationary (smooth transitions and sticks to a subject well). The other limitation is since you pull frames from the "video" , it's jpeg only.

The advantages to other burst modes are you basically have an endless buffer, i don't think there's a limit you would run into, you can just take 30fps bursts for as long as you need. Another advantage is it's full LV so no blackout and no frame replay between shots, which many other burst modes have. And of course, it's 30 freaking fps.

Im typically a raw shooter but i find with a LV feed where i can see WB and exposure, it's not quite as mandatory to get a decent result. Here's a few from yesterday with some nice whether for a change. For the record, the 6k mode lets you shoot HOLD DOWN SHUTTER, START STOP, or 1 second Preburst. I prefer hold down like a normal burst mode. Face/eye tracking was also used, on humans only (wink Sony...).

Feel free to comment or ask questions or share photos.

-- hide signature --

"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear. " -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow