Strange Compressed RAW Issue

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
joergeske Regular Member • Posts: 247
Strange Compressed RAW Issue

Noticed when editing a session and doing a 3ish stop shadow pull that the image seemed really off. I was getting a sort of circular noise pattern. I did some testing and figured out that it was only occurring on compressed raw files but not uncompressed. At first I figured it must be a compression issue, and thought ohwell guess there goes any hope of saving future hard drive space. However, I did some digging and I couldn't find anyone else experiencing the issue.

Thinking it could be camera related I repeated my test on both my a7III and a7rIII. Both yielded the same issues. It was pretty clear at this point that the pattern on the images looked like aperture blades so I tried a few other lenses and sure enough every lens had a slight different pattern.

The below images were shot 5 stops under exposed on an a7rIII with the 28f2 at f2. Both images then had a 5 stop exposure pull done in LR. The difference is night and day, but more bothersome is the face that the circular noise pattern doesnt just appear at the extreme, it appears as early as 1.5 to 2 stops.

I am seriously hoping someone else can either duplicate this result or maybe point me in the right direction with this. I watched a few youtube videos of people doing shadow pulls on compressed raw files from the sony bodies and no one seemed to have the same issue.

Here are some images illustrating the problem:

https://imgur.com/a/DcAj2j0

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow