Is IBIS Really Helpful if All of Your Lens are in-Lens Stabilized

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
donaldsc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,291
Is IBIS Really Helpful if All of Your Lens are in-Lens Stabilized

I am trying to decide between an A6400 and an A6500.   I will be using the camera mainly for travel and family pictures w a few wildlife trips interspersed.  I can see the advantages of both cameras and I am having a real problem making a decision.

I do not shoot a lot of videos so video performance is not critical.  I never shoot selfies so the reversing screen on the A6400 means nothing to me.  Battery life is not critical since it is easy to carry a few spare batteries.

One thing that is important is weather sealing as the reason that I am replacing my A6000 is that I used it in the rain on a wildlife trip that I took and the camera died.  It is not clear which of the 2 cameras is weather sealed.

I should add that price is not an issue - just features.

It may come down to whether the IBIS on the A6500 will significantly improve my pictures if all the lens that I own have in body stabilization as compared to the better focusing ability of the A6400.

I looked at the features of both cameras and the following are important to me -

Focus speed.  Useful for wildlife photography.  Is the 0.02 second focus speed of the A6400 significantly better in the real world than the 0.05 second speed of the A6500.

Focus tracking.  The A6400 appears to be very significantly better here.

Eye autofocus.  The A6400 appears to be better here and the upcoming animal eye autofocus should be useful.  I wonder if it will work with birds or just 4-legged critters.

Number of contrast detection points.  Will the 425 points on the A6400 be significantly better in the real world than the 169 points in the A6400.

5 axis IBIS versus 3 axis in-lens stabilization.  Remember that all of my lenses are in-lens stabilized

Touch screen.  I have never used a camera w a touch screen.  Is it useful.  The touch screen on the A6400 is supposed to be better than the touch screen on the A6500.  Is this true.

Any thoughts or comments will help me make a decision.  Thanks a lot.

Don

Sony a6000 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow