Recurring issue with the 56mm f1.2: harsh rings inside bokeh

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Deep Indigo New Member • Posts: 23
Recurring issue with the 56mm f1.2: harsh rings inside bokeh

This is something that's been going on for a while, but as it doesn't seem to be resolved after a repair trip to Fuji, I've decided to post it here; maybe someone here has had similar issues.

The 56mm is my favourite lens in the XF lineup, and I use it extensively for both my personal and event work. In my copy, however, I've noticed a severe ring effect inside specular, out-of-focus highlights. This isn't some slight onion ring that occurs due to aspherical lens elements, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what would cause this. A google search didn't help either.

It's been severe enough that it's sometimes distracting from the image at hand, and as far as I know, this definitely isn't a typical characteristic of the 56mm; I decided to send it in for repairs.

I've bought my lenses used from LCE; for every other lens I've gotten from them, they've been great apart from a few cosmetic defects. I explained the situation and they let me compare my 56mm with another used 56 in store. The store's lens had drastically smoother out of focus backgrounds, with no ring effect at all; mine, on the other hand, showed them in spades. LCE shipped my lens off to Fuji for re-tuning and repairs, and I've just gotten it back a week ago with Fuji's seal of approval; they noted that all issues were fixed.

I've just gotten back from a walk with the lens, and what do you know, the rings are still there. I've uploaded a characteristic image below; I shot it purposefully out of focus, so the effect is clear. I've written the settings as well, but I don't think it's anything to do with that.

Does anybody know what's going on here? I'm planning on talking to the great guys at LCE again tomorrow, but I've slightly lost hope for my copy. I haven't seen anything like this elsewhere either, so I can't even guess why this is happening; especially since Fuji seems to think everything's fixed.

Thanks in advance.

Mechanical Shutter, f1.4, 1/160sec, ISO1000.

Deep Indigo's gear list:Deep Indigo's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow