What's Your Form Factor Preference?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NorCal Jim
NorCal Jim Regular Member • Posts: 329
What's Your Form Factor Preference?

My first MFT purchase was a Panasonic GH3 with 12-35mm f/2.8 lens. This was to be a dedicated purchase for video since I was already invested in the Sony APS-C system. I really liked the ergonomics and how comfortable this camera was to hold with one hand with the lens attached.

This might have remained the dedicated video solution that I intended but I started spending time in this forum and grew in my appreciation of the MFT format. Then I saw this video that showed me the amazing small & light possibilities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SzixsHY2M8&t=7s

The GH3 & "pro" lens are long gone and now I have the Pen E-P5 shown in the video plus all of the Olympus primes. I really like the rangefinder style and both of my Pen cameras (E-P5 & Pen-F) suit me perfectly. Both are usually configured with one of the Pen primes and they feel great in the hand.

I am considering adding a weather-sealed body and lens to my MFT stable. As an example use case, I can see taking this combination to a variety of outdoor locations and would want it to withstand getting caught in a light rain. I don't anticipate using it in the rain but two days ago I was caught in a downpour that I didn't anticipate and that started me thinking about a weather-resistant camera/lens solution.

Two candidates for the weather-sealed combo are the Olympus EM5ii with Olympus 12-40mm and the Panasonic G85 sold with the 12-60mm kit lens (I would probably add the pro lens later). These two divergent form factor choices form the basis of my preference question. I see the EM5ii as pretty close to the form factor that I enjoy with my Pen cameras and don't really know how comfortable it would handle the Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 or similar zooms. On the other hand, the G85 has a similar form factor to my GH3 and I am confident that it can handle the Olympus pro & kit zooms.

I am mostly looking for MFT form factor preferences & experience rather than buying advice (e.g., I use the EM5ii with 12-40 pro lens but the heavy 40-150 is a bit too much). What's your MFT form factor preference and how does it work for you?

Thanks!

Jim

NorCal Jim's gear list:NorCal Jim's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Sony a5100 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F +15 more
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow