Went to buy a Z6, left disappointed Locked

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Parks71a Regular Member • Posts: 316
Went to buy a Z6, left disappointed

Have a D750, been waiting for Nikon to go mirrorless. I LOVE my D750, favorite camera I've ever had, except the video part. I almost ordered the Z6 online, had it in the cart and was filling out the billing info and thought, I'll go look in person, I have nothing else going on, that way I get it today! Worth paying the taxes, right?

I was instantly disappointed as soon as the camera was handed to me. The grip...., what a HORRIBLE feeling. My D750 has the best grip ive ever felt, maybe I'm spoiled but what did my fingers just jam into? Buttons? Are you kidding me. This is/was the most uncomfortable grip I've ever held, I was SHOCKED. I played with it and played with it and I just couldn't get over it.

I asked to see a Sony A7iii, much much more comfortable, no buttons jamming into my fingers. If I wanted a Sony, I would have bought one YEARS ago. Lenses are to expensive for a hiking hobbyist like myself or I would have pulled the trigger long ago. I compare the two for like an hour. The Nikon wins with touch screen, adapter, screen size, EFV, I am sure I will like the future lenses and prices of Nikon better, already like the kit lens better. I just could not pull the trigger on the Z6. Same thing as my D750 with a much, much worse grip but way better video. THEN, the sales guy tells me, I'll sell you a brand new A7rIII for 2500.00, they are on sale. whoa, I came here to spend 2500.00 on a Nikon. Yeah, I have a few Nikon lenses but nothing marrying me to the system. I prefer Native lenses anyway, that's the point right. But 2500 plus 200.00 for the lens is only 200.00 more than I expected to spend for what I think is way more camera (havnt even researched the A7riii but I'm about to) but I do not like Sony lens price.

Then, to add to the confusion, I asked to see the new Canon's. The DR has always kept me away but I'd be lying if I wasn't jealous of the lenses Canon has. Seems like they always had better value than Nikon. I held the R and the RP and wow, they felt better than both the Sony and the Nikon. Canon wasn't even a contender, on paper but holding it, they felt great, very comfortable. The 24-105 lens, yummy. The flip screen, oh yeah! Not so much for selfie videos but to protect the screen when I stick it in my back pack. Love the flip screen.

What did I buy? Nothing, I didn't even plan on looking at the sony or canon. I expected to hold the Z6 and say yup, can you match this deal blah blah blah and walk home with it. I'm not sure I can get over the grip. Did anyone else have this horrible feeling holding the Z6/Z7? I now having to thoroughly research the Sony A7riii vs these new canons, I have a feeling I might be switching from Nikon which is a shame. The Z6 screen, EVF and the rest looks dang nice!

Nikon D750 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
iau
iau
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow