Wedding light question

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kiwisnap Contributing Member • Posts: 696
Wedding light question

I work as a photographer.

I very rarely use anything but available light in my work.

My brother has asked me as a favour to shoot his upcoming wedding in NOLA for him at no cost, as he needs to save money and cannot afford the cost of a wedding photographer.

I have agreed, on the understanding that I am NOT a wedding photographer and that I have very little experience of formal portrait scenarios. His reply was essentially "fine - you'll still do a better job than anyone else I know!".

The wedding ceremony is quite informal and is taking place outside. There will then be a reception dinner in a private room at a restaurant. I do not believe there will be any kind of organised dancing or reception activities, so I plan on shooting it as I shoot normally, which is PJ style.

However, I acknowledge that some kind of formal shots will be needed.

Since I do not use lighting, I don't own any. Thus I must buy or rent whatever I need for the job (which is fine, within reason) and if it is to have any use in future it needs to be very portable (I never use an assistant and do not habitually carry tripods or light stands) on camera and so on.

So far I have looked at Dedolight LEDZilla, Icelight and similar - almost none of which are available where I live (New Zealand). I looked at some of the Profoto, Elincrom etc lights but I shoot Olympus so many of them do not have the right TTL interface.

I could use an Olympus flash unit (now has wireless TTL) on something like a Pro Media Boomerang as an option.

I don't want a complex option either, as lighting isn't a skill or passion for me, so it needs to be as plug and play as possible. Also because I travel a lot it will need to be lightweight and have batteries that can be taken on a plane.

I also have a Quantum unit but it is a Nikon TTL version (previous system) so I do not think it would be very useful for an Olympus kit.

Any advice appreciated.

Kiwisnap's gear list:Kiwisnap's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow