Fuji 16mm 2.8 vs 18-55mm 2.8 at its widest

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 1,456
Re: Fuji 16mm 2.8 vs 18-55mm 2.8 at its widest

Rod McD wrote:

jgbbxl wrote:

From the reports so far it turns out the 16mm f2.8 is soft at f2.8 and has quite high levels of CA. Neither of this is an issue with the 18-55mm. I've got the 18-55mm myself (in an X-T3 kit) and I'm very happy with it.

What he actually said is that it's soft specifically at f2.8 at MFD. He doesn't make the comment that it's generally soft at f2.8. He likened it to the 23/2 at MFD. If it's anything like that lens at normal distances it should be quite sharp.

There's certainly some lateral color fringing in his images where elements have high contrast edges like white figures on his black XT3 at f2.8. And on tree branches against a bright sky. However, don't lose sight of the fact that many other good lenses will do that too - eg you'll see some purple fringing from the 16/1.4 if you point it straight up at tree branches silhoutted against a bright white sky. But who takes pictures like that? Unless they're incidental OOF background elements to some more important subject?

People shouldn't expect the lens to be fully sharp across the frame at f2.8 - there's not one lens in the entire Fuji range that's not sharper two or three stops down than it is wide open. And his images from middle apertures (f5.6-8) look fine.

Regards, Rod

The 35f2 is also a little soft at minimum focus distance but is a good lens.

What im really interested in seeing is a comparison between this 16 f2.8 and the 15-45 kit lens at 16mm. The kit lens is surprisingly good at the wide end and sharp at MFD with good OIS.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow