Move on from Pentax or upgrade the body only?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Jhaakas Contributing Member • Posts: 971
Re: Move on from Pentax or upgrade the body only?

Lance Ripplinger wrote:

Hi,

I am facing a dilemma of sorts. I currently have the following: K200D, DA*-16-50mm, DA* 50-135mm and the Sigma EX 50-500mm APO DG. I also have the Pentax AF-360 flash unit. I have a complete system basically. My dilemma is what to do. These are the questions I have.

1. Should I sell my entire system? If so, what is the best way to do it. Does anyone here have any experience with companies that buy your used gear from you (like B&H or Adorama for example)? Maybe a private sale would through eBay, ,etc. would be best?

2. Just get a new Pentax body? I really want a modern DSLR with a fully articulating screen. I have noticed that Ricoh doesn't have many cameras anymore to choose from on their website?

Currently, my reasoning is this: I can sell or trade my whole Pentax setup, and get a new DSLR kit with a couple lenses. I realized that I don't even use my 50-135 to speak of anymore, much less the huge "Bigma" as it was called back in the day. Do you have any good, sound advice? I could I suppose, just sell or trade in the 50-135 and 50-500 for a new camera body maybe? But then, I just don't know. I hate all this second guessing I do! If I were to just sell or trade all of my gear, would that be a sound choice? I have been looking online at Canon and Nikon kits that come with a 18-55 and 70-300mm range telephoto, and have the fully articulating screen. My concern is that I don't want to take a step backwards, but on the other hand, my K200D is old, and surely about any new DSLR would be a huge improvement?

I am in a similar situation. Presently with K5ii that I love and the most used lens I have is 18-135. Then the occasional 100/f2.8 macro and the primes.However, 80% of my shots are in the 18-60 range.

I am planning to sell all except the K5ii/18-135, this will be my Pentax kit.
Then go for Z6/EOSR/S1 .. probably by Black friday. By that time there should me some more lens choices
Next one will definitely be a FF

These FF cameras have f4 lenses that I like...not as heavy as f2.8 but faster thanf 5.6
I will be perfectly happy with a 24-105/f4..perhaps Nikon comes up with one. Nikon's images are very much Pentax like

-- hide signature --

-- ## John Haak

Jhaakas's gear list:Jhaakas's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow